What Lies Below

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Call.

2 posters

Gas and Dash

Keeper
    Keeper
    Admin

Gas and Dash Empty Gas and Dash

Post  Keeper Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:56 pm

November:

Ahh. The weekends. Niall Curran lived for them. Now, he loved his job, don't get him wrong - he remembered being in that position as a kid, absolutely gobsmacked to learn what was going on barely noticeable all around him, and he delighted in being able to give that to those few University of Colorado students who actually gave a damn - but dealing with bratty 101 kids all week took its toll on a man. Niall just wanted to sit back, relax, and enjoy a quiet Saturday with Rebekah.

He poured himself a cup of coffee and opened up his laptop to check his email. Spam, spam, kids begging for extensions on papers that had been due a week ago... He opened the first of the few emails that actually looked worth his time, from one of his grad student research assistants.

Dr. C -

Saw this article on ScienceDaily this morning. Apparently they discovered some obsidian orbs in this old mining town in Paradise Alley (as far as I can recall from what you told us, obsidian is only found in a few places in Colorado, and Paradise Alley isn't one of them). Could just be a hoax, but I thought you might find it interesting.

-Ashleigh

He clicked on the article, sipping his coffee. It did seem geologically improbable to find obsidian that far north in Colorado. Like Ashleigh had said, it could just be a hoax, but Niall's curiousity was piqued. Apparently, the orbs were being displayed in the Crestview offices of the Galt Mining Corporation, who was likely using the discovery as a bit of free publicity for their flagging operations in the town. Not to mention the fact that the town was located over what had once been one of the deepest mines in the world; hell, he'd learned about it in his doctoral studies back in Ireland.

Crestview... Google Maps told him that it was only a couple of hours away.

He grinned at his wife as she walked into the living room, yawning and clutching her coffee mug. "Hey, Becks! Wanna go on a trip?"

--

Two and a half hours later, their car rolled onto Main Street in Crestview. Rebekah was unimpressed. "Niall, it's so...sad. It's like every picture I ever saw of the Great Depression in fifth grade. Do you think there's really anything going on here?"

"There very well could be," Niall replied. "I mean, even if the obsidian doesn't pan out, this is a geologically fascinating site for the sheer fact that the surrounding area hasn't completely collapsed into the mine."

Rebekah rolled her eyes. "That makes me feel so much better."

Niall laughed and kissed her on the cheek as they pulled into the Crestview Gas and Dash. "Excuse me!" he called to the heavyset man examining the pump. "Sorry to trouble you, but could you possibly direct us to the the Galt Mining offices?" (Persuade check)
    Keeper
    Keeper
    Admin

Gas and Dash Empty Re: Gas and Dash

Post  Keeper Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Keeper: [[Persuade check - 35/55]

Tommy peaked his head up, adjusting a suspender slightly. "Yussir, yussir, sure can." He set down the wrench he had been fiddling with and walked towards the car, standing outside Nialls window. "Certainly can. But unless you've got business with 'em, they aren't the most talkative folks. And a word of warning, this here is the only gas station for bout forty miles either way, and I close up at night to sleep and supper, so if you'll need anything you best not wait too late. They get long-winded up in Galts country." He coughed and grinned quickly. "But I'm just rambling. I presume you wanna see the bigwigs, not the working boys. Take a right a block ahead, follow it through the woods and such until you can see the mining pit. There's a handful of trailers and mobiles there. Dante Tanner is the man in charge, but he's normally pretty booked. Uses the Stagger as a meeting room if you can get it - nicer than freezing in a trailer. There's also a bunch of boys from The Hill up there, taking samples and whatnot. Hope that helps."

[-Exit scene-]
    Malicon
    Malicon

Post  Malicon Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:39 pm

"...Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wig, yeah yeah
    I'm sexy and I know it
    Do the wiggle man
    I do the wiggle man..." blared the radio.

BANG! RATTLE!

"Girl look at that body
    I-I-I work o.."

Click.

Shit. The engine quit. At least it is coasting enough for me to get off the road.

Wren aimed the car off the road and got it stopped right in front of the Crestview 5 miles ---> sign. Wren had been on her way to meet her sister Robyn for a week of spa visits, bar hoping, and skiing in Kansas for once. Since she had neglected to get the car looked at like her father had told her to do days ago, Wren was now looking at a five mile walk since she didn't have cell service out here.

Don't know why I have this thing. The only time I truely need it and it's worthless. Only seven. I was make good time, too.

She put her phone back in her purse with the car keys, turned on the hazard lights, and climbed out of the car. She through her purse strap on her shoulder.

It maybe cold, but at least it is a full moon tonight. I guess I'm not going to have those morning martinis with Robyn.

She pulled on the hat and gloves she keeps in the pockets of her coat, pulled out the led mini flash light from her purse, and started her five mile walk. Roughly half an hour into the walk Wren was very happy all her cute shoes where packed in her suitcase. About an hour and fifteen minutes later, Wren finally saw the Gas and Dash sign.

Doesn't look like much. I hope it's open.

Wren was relieved to see a round man walking out of the door and turn to lock it just as she walked up.

"Hello sir. I hope I'm not too late, but my car broke down five miles out of town, and I was hoping you had a tow truck." Wren said with a smile.

Keeper
    Keeper
    Admin

Post  Keeper Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 am

Tommy turned around slowly, sizing up his new visitor. His hands shook the key out of the lock easily before he spoke. "Well, I was gonna head home for a bite to eat. But I couldn't rightly leave you out on the street without any sort of help, could I? Be a terrible person." Tommy dropped the keys into his pocket, musing. "I have an old tower, she ain't pretty, but she'll likely do. If'n ya want to go get a drink, I understand, but I need your keys to go move it. Seeing where you came from, and knowing the routes, I've a good guess where your car may be. And it'll take bout an hour to get there, hook it up, and bring it here. Then I'll take a look-see at it for ya, free of charge. You can come with if ya want, but I doubt it'd be much interesting." He shrugged slightly, then with an oddly comical look of embarrassment he wiped his right hand against his overalls and held it out. "Thompson Green, but everybody jus' calls me Tommy. Welcome to Crestview, I suppose."
    Malicon
    Malicon

Post  Malicon Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:41 am

Wren smiled sweetly and grasp Tommy's hand. "I am Wren Springer. Thank you very much for the help. Let me get my keys," she said letting go of his hand. Wren quickly dug the keys out of her purse and handed them to him. "It's the Lady Bug Vaults Wagon with snow tires out there." Wren said with a grin and turned to see if she could see any of the rest of the town.

"So, where do you suggest I get a drink and a room for the night? Oh, and will you please call when you get back so I can get one of my bags out of the car?" Wren asked putting her purse back on her shoulder.

If I am stopping early, I might as well have a martini tonight to make up for the one I am going to miss in the morning.

Wren smiled to herself as she turned back to Tommy.
    Keeper
    Keeper
    Admin

Post  Keeper Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:20 am

"A'yuh. Shouldn't be hard to find then." Tommy took her keys and dropped them into an overall pocket, smiling. "Stagger Inn is about the only place in town. Ain't much, but they'll give ya a drink at least. I'll call them and let 'em know to give you a free drink." He took down Wren's cell number. "I'll give a call when I get back, but it might be a little late. Depends on if the weather holds." He pulled out a pad of paper and wrote a small note, sticking it to the window with electrical tape. Out on a tow. Back in 1 hour - TG

"I'd best be headed for it, miss. You stay safe now. No drunken wanderings about. It's a mining town after all, and some of the boys forget to be civilized sometimes. Not the bar boys...they're well enough behaved."
    Malicon
    Malicon

Post  Malicon Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:51 am

"Well, Thank you Tommy. I will owe you a drink when you get back." She said with a smile. "I will make sure to stay in once I am to stupid for the night."

Wren flashed Tommy one last smile as she turned and continued down the road. So far it had been a lovely evening if it hadn't been for her car breaking down, she would have driven right by this little town.

I hope the rest of the townians are just as nice as that Tommy gentleman. When I get the bill, he might not seem so nice anymore. Might as well enjoy it now. I guess I better call Robyn and tell her I had to stop early.

Wren instinctively pulled out her cell phone and dialed up her sister.

Guess it works in the city...well town limits.

RING...Ring...

"Hello?"

"Robyn, It's Wren. My car broke down about an hour ago just out of a little town called Crestview. I had to walk five miles to get help."

"Why didn't you use your phone silly? I could have searched goo.."

"There wasn't any signal, sis. I am just glad there is signal in town. I am going to get a room here for the night. I will do my best to be on my way tomorrow."

"I hope your car isn't too broken. Have a drink for me sis. Call me in the morning."

"Will do sis. Sleep well."

"You, too. Don't drink too much you still got to keep driving tomorrow."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence."

Wren ended the call with a laugh.

[- EXIT SCENE -]

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:32 am